Establishment of Loveland Fire Department
In 1928, the department became known as the “Loveland Fire Department.”
Pay for Firefighters
Upon the retirement of Chief Liebold, Laurence Brock assumed the duties of fire chief. Being the grandson of Loveland’s first chief, Archibald Brock, and serving with his uncle “Chic” Brock, firefighting was definitely in Laurence Brock’s blood. During his five years as the fire chief, Chief Brock was able to get firefighters on the village payroll for the first time. The firefighters received $2 per call.
Loveland Community Fire Department
About a decade later, then-Mayor Cutler made the decision to forbid the “Loveland Fire Department” to respond to fires located outside the village limits, citing a lack of funds. A large fire occurred on Loveland-Miamiville Road (outside of the village) soon after and the firefighters went to help out anyway, despite knowing that they would be facing punishment upon their return.
With the help of attorney John Undercoffer, the membership of the “Loveland Fire Department” formed the “Loveland Community Fire Department” on March 6, 1938. If they wished, members of the village-operated “Loveland Fire Department” were automatically counted in the membership of the “Loveland Community Fire Department.” The members were paid for fires they responded to in the village of Loveland while fires that were made with the Community Fire Department were done without compensation.
Change in Department Structure
The Loveland Community and Loveland Village Fire Departments worked together to protect Loveland and its surrounding communities for years. However, in 1967 it was recommended that the City Fire Department (formerly the Village Fire Department) be disbanded. By 1971, the Loveland Community Fire Department took over fire protection duties for the city of Loveland while still providing service to neighboring towns that needed additional help.
Fire at Loveland City Hall
In 1972, a major fire destroyed Loveland City Hall which was located on the present site of Station 63 on the corner of East Loveland Avenue and Second Street. The Loveland Fire and Police Departments were also housed in this building, which was deemed a total loss. This event forced the fire department to rebuild from the ground up. Our department forefathers rebounded from this adversity strongly and we are extremely proud of the department that we have today.